Thursday, August 26, 2021

My account was hacked and I lost $6500 from Coinbase

This incident occurred around 5 pm ET. I was checking my balance and I found out that my $6500+ available fund became $70. Then I checked the recent transaction history and it showed that somebody converted my investment to BTC and sent it out 2 times in $1500 and $5000. I immediately locked my account and submitted a ticket to Coinbase customer service. I checked my email that was associated with my Coinbase account and my email was bombed. I scanned for viruses using Microsoft Defenders and found 0 viruses. I downloaded Malwarebytes to scan for viruses and found 78 threats (most of them are viruses). I used a two-step verification for security purposes, and I checked my google phone number that was associated with another google account, and somebody was able to get the verification code.

I guess I am fked. I've read lots of Reddit posts that theft victims were told that Coinbase was not responsible for reimbursing the loss due to theft or hack.

Update: I just went to the police department in my area. They told me in order to file a police report I needed to bring a monthly bill/transaction report from Coinbase to prove that I had $6500+ in my Coinbase account (or I had deposited the money to Coinbase) and the money was sent out to other wallets. Besides a monthly bill/transaction report, they also told me to bring an affidavit from Coinbase to basically say that my incident indeed occurred. Now, I can't do both as my account is temporarily locked so I can't log in to retrieve a monthly bill/transaction report. And, Coinbase doesn't have live agents to talk to or any contact info to ask for an affidavit. This is the dilemma I am facing.

Add: I have an idea that can significantly improve security at the expense of having more wait time. The idea was whatever fund that's withdrawn back to bank account/crypto wallets/PayPal should be on hold for 1-3 days for security reasons. If the account holders report that their accounts were compromised or they did not authorize these transactions in this waiting period, then Coinbase can immediately stop all transactions. Yes, more wait time sucks, but it means more theft can be stopped.

Add: Coinbase requires a 7-day pending period for each deposit for security. In this pending period, you can trade instantly but you can't withdraw the money. It's ridiculous for them to ask customers to go through this 7-day no withdrawal pending period but not a single pending day to verify the security/authenticity of the withdrawal? It makes no sense.

Add: Try using other safer platforms like Paypal to trade as it has "Buyer Protection" and it will make you whole in the event unauthorized activity takes place. Yes, Paypal has much fewer Crypto trading options (Bitcoin, Ethereum, Litecoin, and Bitcoin Cash). But they can reimburse you in the case of loss due to theft. Coinbase has more trading options but no buyer protection. This is something Coinbase seriously lacks as a publicly listed "trading platform" company.

https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/cryptocurrency-on-paypal---purchase-issues-and-buyer-protection-faq4486

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/pp-balance-tnc?locale.x=en_US#protection-unauth


No comments:

Post a Comment