Saturday, September 3, 2022

I've had a lengthy chat with a scammer posing as Jonathan Huberdeau and his "management" on Instagram, Telegram and email.

Long story short, for some reason I enjoy wasting my time talking to some obvious internet scammers because I'm interested to see what they want and I'm having a laugh at their expense with a couple of my friends. We waste their time and troll them around a bit until they get mad at us or we get bored. Usually the scams are crypto/Bitcoin related but this was new. I had a chat request on Instagram, it was Jonathan Huberdeau's "private account". He wanted to move to Telegram because of some vague privacy-related reasons. Anyway, here's some highlights from the convo this far:

  • His comment on why he'd be texting me: "How are you doing,I know you will be amazed to get a text from me,but to me it's nothing we all are human and I want to use this opportunity to appreciate you and say thanks for being a great fan❤️".
  • In his profile there was a picture of a pug and another one of an arab man wearing arab clothes in a skyscraper office. "Jonathan" told me it's his dog and that the arab guy was his best friend in the Panthers. He however refused to say the man's name and told that he was traded out because of a dispute with the coach. Upon further inquiring he just said "I don't want to talk about it !". Later he had removed this picture from his profile.
  • He asked me where I was from and I told him "the same country as Barky" [Aleksander Barkov for anyone who's wondering] but that wasn't enough. I had to be more specific and say the name of the country - of course he knew what the country was but he "wanted to make sure I am not an imposter". I told him the country is Sweden and he accepted the answer.
  • He keeps calling me "fan" at the end of each message, e.g. "how is your day fan? ❤️" - feels like overemphasizing our uneven relationship that I am just a random fan whose name doesn't even matter despite him being interested in continuing a convo for days an end. Not a biggie but just something he does all the time.
  • He promised to give me a free ticket to a Calgary Flames game against the Canucks in December to prove he really is Jonathan Huberdeau.
  • He wants me to participate in a meet and greet event which includes a trip on his private jet. I had to email a lot of my personal information to his "management" for a background check. Before I did that, I asked some questions from the "agent" who introduced himself as Wade Arnott. A person with that name is a real agent in the NHL, just not Jonathan Huberdeau's. I told him that the internet says Wade Arnott has names like Jeff Petry, Brad Marchand, Phil Kessel, Gustav Nyquist under his wing instead of Jonathan Huberdeau. He answered me that those mentioned people are other agents that also serve Jonathan Haderdeau [sic] and I should pay no mind to them now. After this I pretended that he won my trust and I sent him some bullshit information including a picture of a fake ID that I found on Google. After that it has been radio silence for hours. It's apparent that the scam aimed for an identity theft but I wonder if he is happy with the information I sent or am I still going to hear something from him.

No comments:

Post a Comment