Monday, October 21, 2019

Sneaky Miners

Hi,

I built a PC a few months ago. My motherboard has a tiny display on it which displays CPU temperature on it. Last month I saw that the temps were high like I was playing a game but it was actually on idle. When I opened Task Manager the temps went down immediately and eventually figured out this must be a miner. I downloaded malwarebytes and instantly it caught a bitcoin miner (according to quarantine it was either of these 3: RiskWare.BitcoinMiner.COMSPECRST or Trojan.BitCoinMiner.BatBitRst or Trojan.BitCoinStealer.BatBitRst). After which the problem went away and temps were predictable and stable.

Now again the temps are high when left alone for a few minutes and immediately go down when I touch the mouse. Little do they know I have a hardwired temperature monitor which is effectively an activity level meter lol. Malwarebytes(updated) says there's nothing but I am still suspicious. I have followed the suggested reading Official Malware Removal Guide alone with HitmanPro. HitmanPro got about a hundred tracking cookies but that's it.

Has anyone had problems like these before? Thank you.



No comments:

Post a Comment