Thursday, November 7, 2019

I finally killed my Battery Drain.... Google Play Services defeated!

Basically remove all permissions for google play services:

  1. Go to apps
  2. Search play services
  3. open permissions
  4. remove every one.

The device will function just fine, everything works, I get all my emails etc. Only difference is perhaps 15% more battery. This is probably the single biggest battery drainer and it is unfathomable to me how Android/Samsung could let this happen.

I've got more improvements using recommendations by one cara1 from here https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/Galaxy-S10e-S10-S10-S10-5G/S10-Battery-Drain/td-p/975730/page/16

which are basically to

- remove all location permissions under [biometrics and security - app permissions]. I only left permissions for car sharing apps, maps and so on. Switch off all body sensor permissions

- turn off location in find my mobile (also under biometrics and security)

I also believe you can go to developer options (tap 7 times on build number) and go to standby apps (way down), and then go full berserk and switch every app to 'rare', which might remove them from any background activity as much as possible. I've done this with my poweramp player and it complained that it didn't get enough resources ;)

In addition I removed many but not all bloat apps, like linkedin and most samsung apps that I never use, by this little guide https://www.xda-developers.com/uninstall-carrier-oem-bloatware-without-root-access/ I would note down which apps you removed because if something doesn't work you can reinstall it.

And after all I switched on the medium power mode, restricting background data (might have been done with the previous step already) and limit CPU speed (which I would like to know how to toggle that individually. I didn't notice any slowdown, but then I don't play games or anything cpu intensive).

After all of that I get over 30 hours of power with about 4 hours of screen time (on my Galaxy S10e Exynos).

Buy Bitcoin+Ether :)



No comments:

Post a Comment