Thursday, December 12, 2019

I have created a new sub, the Bitcoin Controversies Database /BitcoinControversies

I believe a neutral ground in form of a controversies database of Bitcoin topics is needed in which users can inform themselves about controversial actors, BIP proposals and historic events of the Bitcoin space.

I got this idea when looking at the front page of /btc and seeing the top post being a summary of controversial information about Greg Maxwell. Posted by Roger Ver. Post is upvoted +50 atm of this post. Gregs response in the comment section downvoted -25. Of course.

I say of course because as someone who has been in this space for a while I know the voting situation would be flipped if this post had appeared in /bitcoin. But I believe Roger is banned over there so he wouldnt even be able to respond.

I think this is a problem. Not for us, but for users who have not been in this space long enough to understand what is going on. So what is a noob about to think when he gets to the above post? Mmh, Roger seems to be right, and this nullc character is wrong. Ok. Another noob only hangs out in /bitcoin to check what those guys think, and there this nullc guy is right and Roger is bad.

There is plenty of historically interesting posts that people archive and repost every once in a while, but I have two problems with this:

1) You must be active in the sub at the moment of the repost to learn about the controversy

2) The list with collected links I have here on my laptop is a mess, it would be really helpful to get this into database everyone can have access to

So Ive been thinking, kind of a showerthought actually.

I am imaginating a sub that will collect posts in this form:

Why is XY a controversial character?

Why did XY fork off?

Why was BIP XY controversial?

The content of the posts will link to the various places where these topics have been discussed.

I still need some time to prepare all this, give me some time.

Let me know what you think.


No comments:

Post a Comment