Thursday, March 26, 2020

My Laptop is Overheating in a very strange way.

Laptop Model: Acer Predator Helios 300, 2017 edition.

CPU: 7700HQ

GPU: Nvidia 1060 6GB

RAM: 16BG

STORAGE: 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD (expanded)

My core issues are these:

Whenever a program uses my GPU, my temps skyrocket to 95C-100C on both the CPU and GPU (as shown by Acer Predator Sense, MSI Afterburner, and Throttlestop), even it's just 10% usage happening. In addition to this, I cannot really play games with this GPU anymore because every time I use it, it frequently throttles and games stutter heavily, due to the thermals I believe.

Things to note: The cooling on this laptop has always been bad, ever since I got it in 2017. That being said, I rarely had throttling issues and only when the load on the CPU/GPU was nearing 100%. Yes, I know using it like this has been bad.

I have tried repasting it and cleaning the fans very recently, to no avail. Same temps, same issues. No worse, no better. I have also tried undervolting to the max I can.

I am beginning to suspect I have a bitcoin miner on my PC. Any guides to checking that possibility/getting rid of it would be much appreciated.

Any advice regarding my core issues is very welcome as well.

Thank you.

Edit: I should mention my brother has the exact same PC as I do, which was purchased at the same time as I, but his does not have any of the issues I am facing, for what it's worth.



No comments:

Post a Comment