Tuesday, December 15, 2020

Computer randomly stops giving signal to screen, sometimes doesn’t boot

Computer randomly stops giving a signal, sometimes doesn’t boot

Hey all, I’ve got a computer running windows 10 that I run a plex server and occasionally do some Bitcoin mining from. One day in my clumsiness I bumped the power cable that was plugged into my GPU. The screen attached to the GPU by HDMI flickered once and then came back. I did some maintenance on the plex account and then turned off the screen.

A couple days later I was going to check on some things again and when I turned on the screen it told me there was no signal coming from the computer. I checked the HDMI connections at the GPU and screen and they were fine. Couldn’t get the computer to respond to anything (it wasn’t in sleep mode or anything), so I finally force shutdown.

When I tried to reboot, it stayed on the boot screen for a few minutes (I’m running windows 10 off a SSD so usually doesn’t take more than 30 seconds). Then the screen read “no signal”. Couldn’t get the computer to respond, pressed my bios button to try and force it into that, nothing appeared.

So I force shutdown again, rebooted, pressed bios button, looked through information there. Computer was reading everything fine, as there should be no issues. Left bios screen and rebooted, still no signal. Finally, I tried to boot for a third time and it worked exactly how it should and brought me to my login.

I logged in and the computer was running normally again. I tried to go into the event logger to see if it gave any information on what happened, but I say nothing of note. (I don’t know how or what to read in the event logger anyway).

So now continues the cycle of the computer just randomly stops giving a signal to the screen, won’t respond, I reboot, sometimes it boots immediately, sometimes it doesn’t. This is getting frustrating because with the Plex server, I want the computer to be on as much as possible and also be available for me to do some maintenance as needed.

So final question: Could me bumping the power cable shorted either my GPU or Motherboard causing the computer to stop giving signal at times? What are my next troubleshooting steps to determine which it is?

Specs: AsRock Phantom Gaming 4 X570 motherboard

Ryzen 5 2600X CPU

16gbs ram

ASUS Gaming Strix 570 4GB GPU

120GB SSD for programs and services

22GB hard drive storage for movies, TV shows


No comments:

Post a Comment