Saturday, March 27, 2021

UK bitcoin capital gains tax free limit

I'm trying to get my head around the capital tax in the UK. I understand that the capital gains tax isn't for the value of the bitcoin traded for fiat, but for the profit gained from what was put in.

I have three main questions that I'd like some help with.

1) how to I calculate how much I need to pay, if I'm investing by DCA. Do I just check what the price was when I bought the bitcoin? But If I have bought over multiple weeks, then I have bought in for different prices.

2) The UK capital gains tax free limit is £12000. So does that mean that I can avoid paying any capital gains tax if I realise less than £12000 from by holdings each tax year?

3) can I increase the amount I can claim tax free by transferring to my wife a portion of the amount? Say I'm wanting to buy £20000 fiat from my holdings, can I transfer £10000 to my wife for her to cash out since transferring cryptoassets to spouses are not taxable events?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.


No comments:

Post a Comment