Monday, August 28, 2023

Blast from the Past: The Registration of Bitcoin dot org

I'm back with another fun and significant event in history that is either a part of crypto or has seriously influenced it in some way. This time I'll be talking about the creation of Bitcoin.org!

This might not seem like a big deal, it's just a website right? Everyone and their mother has a website today. However the creation of this website was monumental in the world of crypto. It acts as a gateway into our world and serves as a great tool.

Bitcoin.org was created on August 18, 2008 by an unknown entity (but I mean, come on, "unknown"). That's 15 god damn years ago. It was the same exact day that the taliban tried to attack one of the US's base camp in Khost, Afghanistan. Coincidence? Maybe... Bitcoin.org became the central hub for information about the principles, mechanics, and future potential of Bitcoin.

Although I was late to the party, I still would end up using this website to help me really understand what made Bitcoin so unique. What's so amazing to me is that the website is still up and running and is maintained by an open source group of volunteers and developers. This system is a very good parallel to the decentralization of Bitcoin itself.

Bitcoin.org is still used quite a bit and will continue to be for a while I think. It's important to take a step back sometimes and look at how far we've come and what went into putting all of this together. I love looking into these things, and if you guys have any others you can think of I'd love to read into it and maybe write a post about it. Thanks for getting this far!


No comments:

Post a Comment